Cured salmon – popularly known as 'gravlax'– is a very simple process. The curing process dehydrates the fish, removes all the liquid and kills any bacteria that may spoil the fish .
500-700 gms fresh plump pink salmon
Prepare curing mixture with
1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Aquavit ( it's a dill flavoured Scandinavian liquor.) or substitute Aquavit with 2 Tbs Vodka
2 cups of finely chopped dill leaves , 5-6 peppercorns
1 tsp lemon zest
- Pat dry the salmon.
- Mix all ingredient of the curing mixture
- Take a large plastic wrap , place the salmon on it.
- Apply the curing mixture liberally and evenly on the salmon.
- Wrap the fish tightly.
- Place on a plate and place something heavy on top of the fish.
- Place in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours.
- Take out the salmon. Wash off the curing mixture from the fish.
- Pat dry. Slice into thin slices and serve on toast , on eggs, with salad.
The usage are endless.