Makar shankranti is associated with pithe puli in Bengali household. The usage of khejur gur (date jaggery) rice flour, milk and coconut in making of some delicious sweets. The popular ones are patisapta, puli pithe , soru chakli, Doodh puli gokulpithe , ranga alur pithe,
I was given a challenge to dish up a pithe this time without using dairy products!!! That was indeed a challenge. Made a quick pithe called Elo jhelo it is also called gojja by some.
- 1 cup maida
- 2-3 tbs ghee
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Prepare a smooth dough with maida, ghee, salt and water. Rest it for an hour
- Prepare sugar syrup with sugar and water till very thick consistency
- Make circles from the dough. Make vertical cuts in the circle making sure it is not cut through and through.
- Start folding from one end to the other forming a cylinder. Press the edges from both ends.
- Deep fry the prepared cylinders in oil till golden brown
- Drain the fried ellojlello and dip it in sugar syrup.
- Take the ellojhello s out from the sugar syrup one it is coated from all sides.
Watch how to make Ello-Jhello following this link belowhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5gy0vbx3ZI